Thursday, April 26, 2018

Poem in My Pocket Day

The Woman in the Mirror

Some days I look in the mirror and I can’t recognize the woman I’ve become.
The sleepless nights and hours of worry lay wreck upon my skin.
I stand in front of my open closet, struggling with what to wear.
Everything I own is from my old life, my old me,
It belongs to the girl I no longer see in my reflection.


Other days I get up and I can see my core.
The light inside shines brighter and stronger because of the path I trod.
On those days I don my decade old clothes and walk with pride.
The new me loves and laughs and cries from the depths of my being.
I embrace life in deeper ways than the old me could have ever imagined.


Today I stand in front of the closet mirror and take a deep breath.
I speak out loud before I realize I am going to, “I am still me in all the right ways.” I say.
Like the clothes I wear, I am not current or new or shiny.
But I am made from quality items, dependable and built to last.


I am just who I am supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment